Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving

Even though I am still in Canada, I remain an American. Thanksgiving Day was always celebrated very well in my family. Every few years my father's birthday happened to coincide with the Thanksgiving holiday, as it does this year. My Father passed away in the 1980's. In 1971 on American Thanksgiving Day--if I remember correctly--Father James Alberione, my "spiritual father", died in Rome. He was to proclaimed Blessed James Alberione in 2003, beatified by Pope John Paul II in St. Peter's Square in Rome. I was in Philadelphia at the time Blessed Alberione died. At that time we did not have the benefit of email and web cams to keep us up-to-the-minute with news of the Founder. However we did learn that a few hours before he breathed his last, Alberione was visited by Pope Paul VI. Pope Montini had a very high regard for Father Alberione, since all the institutes of the Pauline Family were present in Milan. Paul VI had been archbishop of Milan when he was nominated to the papacy. As I join my fellow Americans in giving thanks to God for his countless, gifts, I give special thanks for the gift of Father Alberione to me, and to the whole church. Through the consecration of the ever evolving media of communication for use in evangelization, the dream of Blessed Alberione continues to be fulfilled: that through the media of communication Jesus Christ may be given to each and every person on earth.
Happy Thanksgiving Day to one and all!

No comments: