Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Planting and Praying

Today I am enjoying a glorious Spring with sunshine, green grass, and flowers to plant. I have little starter pots boasting sun flower sprouts. They are getting taller by the minute. In another area a row of morning glories are ready to step out of their egg cartoon nurseries. The next step is to clear space outside for the plants to flourish on their own. Squirrels scamper over our yard and dig little holes to hide their treasures. There is an elusive possum who likes to hide outback too. Once I plant the seedlings outside they will need stamina to withstand the heavy rains, the wind and the four legged marauders.
Yet I know the plants will survive as long as I do my part by watering and guarding them.
We are a few days from the Feast of Pentecost, the Birthday of the Church. Jesus promised to send us the Holy Spirit and he kept that promise and he still fulfills his promise. The wobbly seedlings of our attempts at virtue, the seeds of our good resolve and the desires of our hearts to stay closer to God will be strengthened by the grace of the Holy Spirit. An oft-quoted Bible verse says, "If today you hear his voice, harden not your hearts." As rain softens and prepares the soil  to receive good seed and young plants, so the Holy Spirit will grace us with what we need. One of the books that I am trying to absorb and which I recommend is "The Sanctifier" by Archbishop Luis Martinez. The author helps us to recognize how the Spirit is leading us to a greater love of God and neighbor. I find the book very encouraging. There is a smaller book called "Secrets of the Spirit" which has excerpts from The Sanctifier and a few other works of Martinez. You will find both books at http://www.pauline.org/.


No comments: