Friday, November 03, 2017

What color is your Autumn?

Maybe it's climate change or just a warming trend. Whatever the cause our usual brilliant Fall colors have delayed their annual colorful appearance. Yet, there are some trees that are a golden yellow which glow whenever the sun penetrates them. Since we live on a hill, as we drive down towards the more dense areas of Boston, there is one stand-alone tree which is totally red or burgundy. Often as we approach a bend in our many parkways, I feel that "wow!" expression welling up and onto my lips. One of the Sisters with a good eye for color keeps me alert when she points out certain extra colorful trees: "Look at that!" she cries. Then "Look, on the left, wow, what a bea-u-ti-ful tree!" Fall can offer its own art style of ever changing amber, red and gold curtains of foiliage. Soon enough the "leaf curtain" will blow away and low and behold, I spy a building I never realized was hiding behind a stand of trees. I even saw a reservoir not far from us which I only noticed last summer.
I view this autumn season as a metaphor for old age. In September I had a memorable birthday, one which I never dreamed of reaching so soon! In the summer, almost all the trees are green, so not many leaves stands out.
In the Fall each leaf has its chance to shine, displaying deep reds and yellow, and shades in between. My ideal would be to shine with virtue as I age. When I was younger, some of us sisters would tease one another if we caught someone complaining: "Don't grow to be a mean old nun!" As age increases so often do aches and pains and various other jolts to our systems which may challenge our serenity. Wisdom comes with age, so they say. Experience adds a dimension to our life where we hold up events of today to the light of our past. Sometimes we can say, "History repeats itself over and over." This is so true when we read headlines glaring with the misdeeds of some, or the downright evil ways of others. When I watch TV news, it can be a downer when one crime after another is dragged before our eyes. I always perk up when newscasts end on a positive note and highlight a person who has gone the extra mile to help another. No matter what, I want to be one of those trees that glimmer with color when the sunlight dances around me. Good habits become virtues. In my spiritual view of the landscape, colors represent good thoughts and good deeds, as well as good intentions. Red is always a symbol of love and sacrifice, gold is precious and it sparkles in the light. The tan or beige leaves remind me of the value of the ordinary lived well. The bright yellows represent an upbeat attitude, faith in the Providence of our Good God. As Christians and as Catholics we can display in our own serene way faith, hope and love as we live them day-by-day.
The beloved Saint Pope John XXIII always cast a serene smile despite the pains of old age and the crosses inherent in carrying the needs of the whole world as Pope. Yet, he refused to join in any pessimistic views of our times, differing from the nay-sayer prophets of doom. Rather, Pope John trusted in the goodness of God who is the One whom St. Paul said in his Letter to the Romans makes all things work to the good for those who love him. (Romans 8:28) What are your Autumn colors?
Have a multi-colored blessed day!

No comments: