Saturday, March 27, 2010

Earth Hour and Palm Sunday

As I write this blog, I am am aware of how millions around the globe are observing earth hour, conserving electricity and energy. Last year some of us Sisters used candle light to observe the hour as we enjoyed each other's company. Tonight some of my friends have built a campfire and are preparing s'mores (for those who don't know, a s'more is a sandwich made of roasted marshmallows, melted chocolate and graham crackers)even though the temperature is hovering over the freezing mark.
Tomorrow is Palm Sunday, the solemn opening of Holy week. Since evening prayer or vespers on Saturdays is always a commemoration or an introduction to the celebration of the coming Sunday, I already had a glimpse of tomorrow's liturgy.
We will have the blessing of palms and a procession to mark Jesus entry into Jerusalem. Then during Mass we will read from Luke's gospel account of Jesus' Passion. Since I will be one of the three person reading the Passion narrative, I have read it several times as a preparation. I invite you who read this to go to Luke's gospel and read the Passion account which begins with the Last Supper.
This will be a week of transition for me as I move to a new assignment in Boston. I will arrive in time to celebrate the Sacred Triduum: Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday's Easter Vigil. I promise you my prayers for a blessed Holy Week!

No comments: