Thursday, May 13, 2010

Ascension of the Lord Jesus



Today, 40 days after Easter, in various parts of the world, the Church celebrates the Feast of the Ascension of the Lord. This year's gospel selection for the Mass is from St. Luke as is the first reading of the Mass from the Acts of the Apostles. He says that the Lord promised: "You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses...to the ends of the earth" (Luke cf. Luke 24:48--51; Acts 1:6--11 NRSV).
St. Matthew describes the same event with more detail: And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:18--20). The gospel which I quote here is called "The Great Commission." When I served in the southern United States, I noticed that a number of churches advertised themselves as "Great Commission Churches." They were proud to say that they as a community were committed to telling people the Good News about Jesus and inviting them to be baptized and join in their communities for worship and prayer. As a baptized Catholic Christian I believe that my church is certainly a "Great Commission Church". As a member of my religious community, Daughters of St. Paul, I share in this Great Commission to teach people about Jesus.
With the various media of communications, we Daughters of St. Paul strive to carry out the Great commission to the people of today.
During this month of May when more of us pray the rosary, let us reflect on the second glorious mystery, the Ascension, and ask the grace to carry out this Great Commission with enthusiasm and dedication wherever we find outselves.

No comments: