Saturday, May 29, 2010

Feast of the Holy Trinity

This weekend the Catholic Church celebrates the central mystery of our faith: the Blessed Trinity. The Trinity is the Three-in-One; One God in Three Divine Person, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. As St. John says, "God is love." In the Trinity the Father, creator and life-giver, generates the Son, and the love between them is the Person--the Holy Spirit. Since God is beyond what any human mind could fathom, I can introduce you to this mystery of a God who is One, yet Three Persons. Jesus gave the Great Commission in Matthew 28: "Go, and...baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." In those words at the end of Matthew's gospel, we have Jesus naming the Persons of the Trinity. This Trinitarian God tells us through Jesus that he wants to live in us. In a very modern translation called The Message, Jesus says he wants to move into the neighborhood. It goes like this: "Because a loveless world is a sightless world. If anyone loves me, he will carefully keep my word and my Father will love him--we'll move right into the neighborhood! Not loving me means not keeping my words. The message you are hearing isn't mine. It's the message of my Father who sent me." Another translation says, "We will come to them and make our home with them." Whichever way I look at this passage, I am happy to know that God wants to "move into my neighborhood." I can ponder the Trinity Most Holy, and realize that God is community in a sense greater than any community on earth. Yet God wants to reside in our communities, in our very selves. That's a great consolation to me, that God loves me so much that he wants to move in. Although I cannot penetrate this mystery on Unity in Trinity, I adore it, and I accept it. And, I am reminded of this awesome reality whenever I make the simple Sign of the Cross: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments: